Travel and Conference Grants
Play the Game offered 14 travel and conference grants to media professionals, sports researchers, sports leaders and other relevant persons from less privileged countries.
Money for subsidies came from Play the Game's exisiting budget, which was provided to Play the Game by The Danish Ministry of Culture, Danish Gymnastics and Sports Associations, The National Olympic Committee and Sports Confederation of Denmark, Danish Federation of Company Sports and Team Danmark. Additional funds were also donated specifically for the provision of grants by the Danish Union of Journalists (Dansk Journalistforbund), 5,000 euros, and Norwegian Union of Journalists (Norsk Journalistslag), 2,500 euros.
Representatives of the governing board of Play the Game considered grant applications, taking into consideration one or more of the following criteria:
- that the applicant plays an active role in the sports debate in his or her home country and can prove a long-term interest in the conference themes
- that the applicant can add value to Play the Game’s agenda by reporting on conference issues to national media, by presenting papers during the conference, by entering in panel discussions, by contributing to Play the Game’s own news production or in other ways
- that he or she may be able to cover part of the total travel and conference costs
- that the total selection of grant holders represent a mix of earlier participants and newcomers
- that a fair distribution of grants is achieved with respect to gender, age, geographical origin, function in the public sports debate etc.
A travel grant consists of the full or partial financing of
- Travel costs to Coventry and back
- Full conference package including lunch and dinner, social events, information materials etc.
- Accommodation in 2-4 bedded dorms at hotels or hostels within walking distance from the conference venue
The grant did not include insurance, and Grant holders were advised to take out adequate insurance to cover themselves and their property for the duration of the conference.