FIFA Communications Director quits after 18 months

10.12.2009

By Steve Menary
Hans Klaus, FIFA’s director of communications and public affairs is to leave the world body just six months before next year’s 2010 World Cup.

The former Swissair and Japan Tobacco executive joined football’s world governing body in May 2008, suceeding Andreas Herren.

In a statement, FIFA said that Klaus is leaving due to "contrasting perspectives on communications strategy". Speculation has been building for some time in the media community about Klaus, culminating last week, when Klaus was absent for the World Cup finals’ draw in Cape Town. According to the international sports journalism group the Association Internationale De La Presse Sportive, Klaus is understood to have been off work since November with flu.

FIFA’s statement of December 8 in full

“As a result of contrasting perspectives on communications strategy, FIFA and its Director of Communications and Public Affairs, Hans Klaus, have decided to part company, it was announced today.
FIFA would like to thank Hans Klaus for the contribution he has made during his time with the organisation and wish him the very best for the future.

"It has been a great experience and definitely a valuable enrichment for my professional career to work for FIFA over the past two years. FIFA is a fascinating organisation in the fascinating world of football," said Hans Klaus. Current Head of Media Nicolas Maingot has been appointed as Acting FIFA

Director of Communications and Public Affairs, and Deputy Head of Media Pekka Odriozola will step up to fill the role of Acting Head of Media.”

Accept cookies

By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies on your device as described in our cookie policy unless you have disabled them.